Sewing Highs

This is a bit of a two part post really.

This first bit, as the title suggests, is going to cover the sewing highs.  Well, the sewing that went how I planned more or less at least.

We'll come back to the picture at the top in a moment, but first I just have a little quickie to show you.  It's yet another phone case, this time I slightly adapted my usual pattern for a smaller style of phone.

I think it worked out quite nicely.  I must admit to being rather happy at seeing those fussy cut little birds looking at each other lovingly on the flap.

It's a little gift for someone in the family, so I do hope that they are pleased with it too.  

Let's go back to that top photo now.  I've been pondering this idea for a while.
I don't know if it bothers you as much as it bothers me, but it does annoy me greatly to see strewn about the place all of the millions of remote controls it seems necessary to have in a modern home.  We currently have five of the blighters clogging up surfaces, chairs, sofa crevices, window sills and any other of the numerous places they seem to find their way to.

It's like an infestation of battery controlled ugliness, polluting my living room and destroying my soul.  Ok, maybe slightly over the top, but you get my drift.  They are generally speaking, a pain.  A very necessary pain, but still.  So, I have been mulling over a way to marshall these plastic horrors into some kind of order.

It's taken so long because I couldn't really come up with any plan that totally satisfied.  But in the end, I settled on making a little basket for them to sit in.  At least they would always be in one place and easy to find, with the added benefit of being housed in, and from some angles obscured by, something pretty.
  
 I used this tutorial by Ayumi at Pink Penguin and it came together beautifully.  I love the fabrics, which will work well in my living room and it was a fab tutorial.

I think I'm happy with it.  I'm happy with the basket certainly.
I'm not completely sold on it being the right remote control storage solution, for want of a less daft way of putting it.


It's ok.  It looks better than having them all haphazard everywhere but I'm not sure how it looks on my little table in the picture just above here.

What do you think?

I'm not sure I'm happy with the handles flapping about everywhere like that.  I kind of think it looks a little messy with them.  Maybe I should have left them off.

On the other hand, it's a great help at dusting time.  I can lift them all up in one go and flick my duster with ease.  That part, I definitely like.

S x




PS - Don't forget to vote for your favourite in the poll on the right.  Still 4 days left!

Comments

  1. I love that cell case its so cute. That little holding bag is very handy. Your such a talented woman:) I love coming here. OH I am merry with my words hehehehe I am suppose to be cooking supper lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one of these, bloody remote controls drive me crackers! There is always one missing, usually under a sofa... it's scary to put my hand under the sofas ;-)

    I think the handles works in the design. I really like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous projects. I'm new to sewing and these seem to be some great ideas I can try. Especially the phone case as it does make a great handmade gift. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this basket! Thank you for the tutorial link - will check it out. I have a felt basket in that same shape that we bought for our eldest when she was a little dot and she loved it to destruction unfortunately. I have kept it because I wanted to recreate it and now I can! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, I think it's lovely. Making the ugly remotes look neater is very tricky! I have to say though it would make a brilliant yarn basket - maybe if it was a bit bigger?
    I love the blue and yellow colours you've used, really gorgeous, and as usual beautifully neat workmanship!
    Take care
    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your remote holder! It's great and I adore the fabrics.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Definitely keep the remotes in it =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both came out very nice :-) I agree with you about the handles; maybe shorter ones next time? It still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love your bag for all the remotes!! Such a great idea! Gorgeous fabrics!! I love the blue with the tiny pink and red flowers! Is that a repro print? xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used that tutorial myself to make storage for little things in my craft room. I think it looks like a great way to store the remotes. Ours are just cluttering the coffee table. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I'm counting 4 remotes in my living room right now! They are such a pain (especially when dusting). I made that little basket too, I use it in my sewing room, it's very handy.
    I think it's a great idea to use for the remotes. Keeps them all together nicely.
    Of course I would have to get my family to actually put them IN there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those remotes are driving me bonkers too... I have a small basket I put them into as well, but it seems like I am the only one putting them in their... The rest of the family members tend to put them a little bit everywhere else in the house.
    Love your basket though. So cute. Agree about the handles, they do mess it up a bit when you say so... Maybe just make them smaller so they stop flapping. I don't know... They are so handy to have though. Ahw... just keep it as it is. It is probably the nicest remote control basket in the neighbor hood!!! :D
    Annette
    My Rose Valley
    www.myrosevalley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aha, here my technical computer husband has banned the 5 million remotes that come with even the slightest of household items and he has cunningly replaced them all by one universal remote that has all the others programmed into it.

    So one, neat, tidy and slim remote that operates everything technical around the house. And only one set of rechargeable batteries in use... yes, now and then efficiency rules this household...
    ;)

    But I like your basket....perhaps our own remote could also live in a cute basket like that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sandra! I think the basket is really cute but, I understand where you are coming from with whether it is EXACTLY the right thing to tidy the remotes into. Having given it some thought, what would you think to making another basket slightly taller (so the remotes could stand upright) and then make pockets (a bit like your knitting needle case) for each of the remotes to slide into inside the basket. I think maybe this would make the individual remotes easier to lay your hands on and would still tidy/pretty them up. Just a suggestion... :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats great. I like your protject very match.

    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, I can see what you mean about the handles a bit though. Maybe you could just make them a bit shorter, that ay the basket is still easy to move when it come to dusting but the handles won't be so 'flappy' :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty solution to a perennial problem. Once my studio is done and I have a place to put my sewing machine I shall give this a go :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it! I understand what you are saying, but I think you are being too critical of yourself (I am the same). A lovely choice of fabrics and beautifully made as always. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've done a lovely job. What a great idea. I too hate the remotes. They always end up sucked into the back of the lounge somewhere!
    Beautiful fabrics. I think I might give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Therese xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the basket you made -- either with or without handles! A lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete