My Nordic Shawl

Oh that picture makes me sigh.  A long sigh of happiness and relief.

I've had a few unforeseen difficulties with this shawl you see.  All has not been plain sailing at all.

Things started well enough, I made a lovely selection of  Drops Merino Extra Fine DK and the yarn, when it came, proved to be wonderfully squidgy and the colours rich and beautiful.  So far, so good.

This was supposed to be my 'nice-relaxing-making-over-Christmas-project' and I had visions of an enjoyable and peaceful time working on the plain sections during intervals in the Christmas rush.  I had my colour sequence all planned out for when the fun border part came too.  I was all ready to go.

At first things panned out as they should, I worked away here and there.  The perfect 'pick up and put down' type of thing, as I had wanted.  Then, one day, the border crept up on me and I was pleased to have the joy of seeing the colours come together.  I searched for my colours and found that I'd jumbled them into my basket any old how, to make way for presents or people or some Christmas activity or other.  No matter, I spent a few minutes arranging them in a pleasing way and then set to work hooking up the yummy border.

Mistake number one, right there.  You see, originally I'd planned to do a little test patch of border and check I liked how it looked, before I plunged in and did the whole thing.  In all the hubbub of festive goings on I'd forgotten this and as the border grew and grew I became increasingly unhappy with how it was looking.  Oh well, c'est la vie, I shall rip back and try again.  So I did, I ripped back again and then again and again.  Humm, this thing wasn't going right at all.  Alarm bells were ringing a bit, but eventually I did come up with something I liked and the border part was complete.

You'd think things would all be straight forward now wouldn't you but unfortunately not.  As I carried on working on the rest of the shawl, towards the pretty lacy finish I just wasn't easy in my mind.  Although I really liked my border, something wasn't quite right and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  But, despite having to wait for more yarn to arrive, and stopping to work on scarves for him and her, I kept going, sure that I'd love it by the end.  That was mistake number two!



Finally I got to the very end, I'd even started the last blooming row when I put my finger on the problem.  My colour scheme reminded me of the 80's.  It reminded me of a pair of roller skates I used to have as a child and a bit of Bucks Fizz.  Not really things that are at all compatible with a beautiful, crochet, granny chic-ish, scandinavian shawl.  I'd fallen in love with this shawl when I saw it on My Rose Valley's site.  When I saw her Instagram pictures of it and when I saw it wrapped around her shoulders while sitting in the Swiss countryside.  This 80's tribute that I'd managed to create was all wrong, wrong, wrong.

So, it was back to the drawing board and more ripping, ripping ripping.  (Blub!)

I wanted something much softer.  Something much more gentle and in keeping with Annette's gorgeous original design.  Something that did it justice, rather than worked against it.  So, to cut a rather too long story short (too late). I dragged out my old stock of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino and Patons Smoothie and started thinking about the colours again from scratch.  It took quite a bit more experimentation and I can assure you I did make a test piece this time around, but I finally got there.

So even though things didn't work out the way I thought they would,
in the end I got something I'm very happy with.








: : YARN : :
Drops Merino Extra Fine DK:
 Grey (5)
Mustard (30)
Pink (25)
Off White (01)
Pale Greyish Blue (15)
 Patons Smoothie:
Apricot (2004)
Debbie Bliss Rialto 4ply (I think):
Teal (22018)

: : PATTERN : :
The Nordic Shawl from My Rose Valley



S x





My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. Worth it in the end - it's really lovely and wearable. I much prefer the colours you've gone with now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh - that's a sigh of "my goodness what a beautiful shawl"! Although your first colour scheme didn't really remind me of the rollerskating '80s :-) I definitely definitely like the final version a LOT more! So gorgeous ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best things are worth the struggle. Yours came out lovely :-) It looks very soft and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor girl! To think this project was for relaxing after the Christmas rush. Actually, I like both of them but I must admit when I first started back crocheting I was all about loud and bright colors...I think living in my "pale" house I was desperate to brighten things up but I went too far and now, like you, I have "settled in" with color but just a few bright tinges here and there with a more "dusty" color for the backgrounds. I've also found that the more expensive yarns (unfortunately) have better, truer more muted colors that don't scream "look at me" yet get their point across in a gentler, kinder way. Does that make any sense? Plus, the fiber is becoming much more important to me. I have to use washables for the grands but for me...I'm becoming a purist. Thank you for making me not feel alone with the "something's just not right" syndrome! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful shawl, I love the edges. I didn't think your first attempt reminded me of the 80s but I do like the second colour scheme more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love all the pretty things you make! This turned out so pretty after all your hard work and rework. I agree that this is much prettier than your original colors. LOVE IT. And I love coming here and getting all inspired by your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this Sandra, and I can totally sympathise with you. I too made this over the christmas period after falling in love with it on Annette's blog. I also did it in a grey colour way, and ended up making it probably three times over through ripping it back and changing colourways....or realising that you have not concentrated, and ten rows before you did an extra set of stitches on one side! Grrrrrrrr! But the finished result is lovely isn't it. You have gone for softer shades in your colour block than I, and I love yours to bits. I have been wearing mine almost every day since I have completed it so I feel it's been worth all the extra work on it! ha ha!


    Have a super evening


    Take care


    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! So well worth all the hard work and frustration, as you would never have been happy had you not had the guts to keep going until it was just right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do realise that by the time we're grandmothers our daughters will be crocheting these shawls in that '80s colour scheme, it will be bang on the retro trend by then! ;-) I do prefer your shawl as it is now, so soft and pretty...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the soft colours of your final choice. They would be my colours too! I love pink and teal and pale blue with grey! I made myself a shawl last autumn in soft tones. Anyway, well done for all your hard work and patience, it's really paid off. I love the way you've made it so big too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was very brave! It's really gorgeous now. Such a lovely colour scheme. I love the border. I just might have to make another shawl! Enjoy swishing around in it! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were so right to change it, the other colors, while lovely were a bit too glaring compared to the main color. The border was asking to be a bit more subdued. The finished shawl is fantastic. Well done,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I feel your ripping out :( It's been so worth all the pain though, it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shawl may have been a little tricky and taken some working on, but it was well worth it from where I am sitting as it looks beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely shawl, it was worth all the ripping out and redoing, it looks lovely on.
    Although the first lot of colours are good, your second choice is better, they look softer and work better with your main colour. I definitely have a bit of shawl envy now.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!!! It was worth the effort :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. "no pain, no gain" this is what is said…..!!!!!
    you did it so well, at the end!!!!!! ;oD BRAVA!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  18. absolutely the right decisions! the end result looks simply gorgeous! Well done for being so brave! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your final version and the colours are delicious. I have spent ages looking at the earlier shawl's colours as they remind me of something and strangely the thing that came to mind was a Kelloggs Cornflakes box - when the colours were stronger, from my youth (which is some time ago). I spend ages faffing about to get colours right. I have a little squares blanket on the go and I spend more time moving balls of wool around deciding which colour should be next than I do actually crocheting. Anyway you did the right thing because your final shawl is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous Photos, Gorgeus Shawl... I also love the shawl pin ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's absolutely beautiful - I absolutely love that pop of mustard in the middle of the border (mustard yellow is a colour that always reminds me of my much-missed Grandad)!
    V (yarnroundhook)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow its such a beautiful creation. I saw those roller boots in my mind as i read about them on here, you're right! I love both colour choices but I especially love the finished article with all of my favourite colours included. I'm sure you will take a lot of pleasure in wearing it especially knowing the hard work and perseverance you put into creating it. Beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh goodness so pretty! Sandra, just to let you know I linked to your great phone cover tutorial on my blog today, I hope you dont mind me sharing.
    Best wishes
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am glad you perservered. The final colours are soft and pretty and its drapes really nicely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. As you knit, so shall you rip! I know, but it doesn't roll off the tongue using the word crochet. The shawl is lovely just the same. Thanks for sharing.

    Sheila

    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/01/diy-shawl-pin-with-buttons.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's stunning! Your perseverance paid off and your shawl is beautiful, colour combination is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad that you were willing to rip it out and we do the border - sometimes I'm a bit to stubborn to undo stitches that I spent hours creating but it's always worth it in the end - I adore the final finished version. Those colours are so much more subtle and appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous shawl - I love the subtle colours you chose. I too have seen that pattern on My Rose Valley and yours is every bit a lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sandra, I give all five stars :-)! beautiful, once a more :-) I like the way you wear it too, pin it together like that, I never thought of it and I think it looks wonderful. The colours are perfect. And the scarf you made for your husband is really really lovely. I was thinking what colours I would chose would my hubby ask me for a scarf (haha like if that is going to happen any time soon :-) ... and I really like the ones you chose!
    Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jitka

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous and definitely the right colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your shawl is gorgeous and I love your second choice of colours. Enjoy the wearing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aha I think I had the same roller skates lol!! Love the newer version. You were right to start over. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. just seen this post, wonder how close the pattern is to yours??

    http://paintitcolorful.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love what you have done with your Sandra and you have inspired me. I have been meaning to purchase this pattern and now it has moved up the priorities list. I reall like the colours you chose and what I love is that you persevered and the end result is simply stunning. Well done you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. How many balls of each did you use?? Thanks xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. I seem to be having a rash of those uneasy feelings about projects as I work on them and have been more ripping than I care to admit to. I have actually even abandoned several projects until I can figure out what went wrong... wrong colors? No, perhaps wrong yarn? Oh, who knows... lol! I do know yours turned out lovely once you removed the 80's feel, lol! Soft just seems to be the thing for our tired souls at the moment! :D
    Hugs and thanks as always for the beautiful inspiration!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ahaaaaaaa!!!! Now I understand the increase in my pattern sales this past week. I was scratching my head badly wondering why I suddenly had steady traffic to my Etsy store come Thursday afternoon. Ha ha ha! THANK YOU!!!
    What a lovely creation you pulled off in the end and what a rather crochet painful story you have shared... Phew. I know the feeling when things just go baloobas from what you had so clearly in your mind from the start. You are a very VERY patent lady, sticking it through and not giving up. Good job!

    I kind of liked the Buck Fizz version too... It was a bit bolder but maybe it would have done better with a different base... I do really LOVE your end version though, it is so smooth and beautiful and your stitches are made with perfection. The light pastels are perfect for spring and summer. Will look fabulous with jeans and dresses. Did you block it? I haven't blocked mine. I really should. And my grey version is finished too. I should really share that over at my place soon as well.

    Thanks again for a wonderful post, fabulous flattering words and for sending tons of crafty traffic to my corner of Blogland.
    Xxx
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  38. What can I say after reading Annette's comment! I love the second version and agree it was worth all your effort.
    Your photography is just delicious too!
    Denise
    x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your shawl is beautiful, the new colours are so soft and pretty together. Love the scarves you made in the previous posts too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. It turned out beautiful. I really like the colors you picked second time around.
    Miep

    ReplyDelete
  41. So gorgeous and I love the final colors! Perfectly you and so sweet! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello lovely, gosh you have made a fabulous job of your shawl!! After my visit over to you last year your words of wanting to support Annette and buy her pattern stayed with me, so I ordered it :o) I haven't started mine yet but have got the yarn (I do hope I have made the right choice colour-wise!) You have certainly made a wonderful colour combination for you shawl and I love it. You look really good in it too! Take care, Sam xx Any time you feel Bedford calling, let me know and you're welcome to a cuppa at mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. You always give me hope because you are not afraid to say, I don't like it, and take it apart, partially or even all the way if need be. You are brave with your color choices and move forward even if you sometimes aren't sure... I pop over often for those little doses of courage ... LOL! :D
    Hugs my sweet friend

    ReplyDelete
  44. your nordic shawl is absolutely stunning and the colours you chose are beautiful , this is the next on my list of makesxxxlove your blogg as wellxx

    ReplyDelete