Super Star!

I have to warn you of two things.  First, this is a very picture heavy post and second, although I really don't want to sound smug, I'm afraid I might do a little. But I'm just so gosh, darn pleased with myself right now!

You see, I've done something I didn't think I would ever be able to do....

Do you remember this?



From my 'Adventures in Quilting' post?  Well, after that post, way back in July  I rested on my laurels for a goodish while, feeling pretty chuffed with my one block.  That was until November when it suddenly dawned on me that leaving this one block sitting around would not magically turn into a whole quilt.  Elves were not suddenly going to leap up and do the work for me.  Especially since I didn't even have enough material yet.  (Elves are picky that way!)

So, I sat, I calculated, I ordered and then I set about The Cutting.  I was a bit afraid of The Cutting, I thought it would drag on and take for-ev-er.  Actually, it wasn't too bad at all and it kind of zips along once you get going.



Now came the fun part, The Piecing.  This bit was great.  Nice small pieces to work with, whizz, whizz, whizz, through the machine they went, then press, press, press on the other side!




It was such a joy to see the blocks coming together.  It's so exciting finding out somethings is actually going to work out the way you hoped it would - shock!



Soon I had a stack of blocks and the serious work of making a quilt top could begin. (Eeeek!)  I was slightly concerned about this.  Worried my blocks wouldn't be the right size and things wouldn't line up and edges wouldn't match.  Such a myriad of problems that could occur but you know, it was ok.  I dare say it's not perfect, I know I lost a few star points, but I'm really not going to beat myself up about that, anyway, I was far too pleased to see it coming together to worry about such trifles!




The next part though?  The next part I really was worried about.  The Basting and The Quilting (Double Eeek!)  I'd read up on it, I got the idea of the thing but doing it for real?  Help!



The general wisdom seemed to be, pin it lots and make sure you have a 'walking foot' for your machine.  Basting was, ok.  Well, I was a few pins short, but I used all that I had.  Then, armed with the new 'foot' on the machine, I heaved a big sigh of trepidation and took the mammoth beast to the machine!



I tried to be systematic.  I started from the middle and worked out.  I un-rolled and re-rolled after every sewn line or two and you know what?  It was ok!  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't that much fun, but I did it and it turned out just fine.

Between you and me, there are a few puckers and tucks in one corner, but that was down to my not-quite-up-to-standard basting and I think if I do ever make a quilt again, I'd be much better able to do a better job now I have some idea what I'm trying to achieve.

Then I had to sew the binding on.  This was one part I was looking forward to because I could sit all cozy and enjoy some Christmas snuggle time with the quilt on my lap, watching a bit of telly and sewing away merrily.  Easy peasy!




For the finishing touch, I cracked open my very seldom used embroidery supplies and made myself a little quilt label, which is apparently 'de-gueur' for handmade quilts and attached that to the back.  So now all will know, down the generations, exactly who it was that botched this thing together!


Then, can you believe it?  I have done it.  I have actually made a quilt!  Oh my word, I could dance a jig and sing a joyful ditty.  I'm afraid I can't stop feeling surprised and pleased with myself.  But you have to understand, I never, ever thought, even a year ago, that I would be able to do this.  I'm amazed and oh, so very happy!!

Come and revel with me, in pictures....










 So, that's my Christmas Star Quilt, finished and ready for Christmas snuggles.

Christmas Star Quilt - The Actual Factuals:

Quilt size: 78 x 65 inches (196 x 163 cm)
Block size: 12 inches (30/31 cm)
Top Fabrics:  Homespun fabric from Little Falls Cabin and Bespoke County
(I ordered 2 yards of the big squares, 1 1/2 yards of the cream and 1 yard of the others)
Backing Fabric:  Plain cotton that I happened to have in stash, but I got it originally from Dunelm Mill
Wadding:  Quilters Dream Green from Cotton Patch (Awesome shop!)


I think that's all the facts for now, but if I missed something, you can ask me!

Just one last thing to share.  Have you seen these?



Christmas yummy or what?  I found them at Sainsbury's and thought how perfect they would be for hot chocolatey goodness over the festive season.

So, on that note, and given that I had a stinky cold today, I'm going to have myself some Quality Christmas Star Quilt Snuggle Time with a suitably themed drink...




...and a suitably themed film.  I think "It's a Wonderful Life" will be just about perfect.


S x


Oh, and a little PS for Paula Louise...

You left a message on my 'More is More' post asking about the angel on the mantle?  I'm afraid you have no email address linked to your profile, so I had no way to respond to you, but I hope you see this...  The pattern link is here!  Enjoy  :)


Comments

  1. Woooow, I envy you! I have never made a quilt, I have seen a lot of them on the web and I always go ooooooh and aaaaaaah when I stare at them. I've tried to make a patchwork pillow once, it never got finished. It's just not my thing, sewing neatly haha.

    I am making the beekeeper's quilt (you might know it, if not check here: http://tinyowlknits.wordpress.com/the-beekeepers-quilt/)

    But this one is knit! It's a super nice project to take with you.

    Well, enough of the rambling. Have fun snuggling under your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely beautiful quilt perfect for Christmas, well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous quilt...is it your first one? If so, it's a hundred times better than my first attempt, which was so awful it never made it to the quilting stage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got a serious case of the wanties!!!!!!
    That is a super quilt, oh my it is just beautiful, well done you & boast all you want, I would!!!
    Lots of love Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. I can really see ALL that work going into the blanket. Simply stunning. It made me speechless!! I´m happy that you are dancing - you can be really really proud. Congratulations!!! And that hot chocolate - OHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful quilt - great work. I hope you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely brilliant, you have every right to be proud of it, and I enjoyed reading about it. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is an impressive quilt, really lovely, your first one amazing. Just perfect for snuggling under with a nice cup of cocoa, enjoy (but don't sneeze and spill!!!)♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should feel very smug indeed, your quilt is beautiful! Fab job! My MIL quilts and does amazing things but I'm not sure I have the patience, hats off to you, who clearly does.

    I for see lots of snuggly moments with your new quilt.....clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is beautiful - well done. Just perfect for snuggling with a hot chocolate and a lovely film - off to check out Sainsburys for some of those marshmallows too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a truely beautiful quilt... I adore your fabric choices!! Looks like you will be having a very snuggly, cosy Christmas :) (and many more to come)....

    ...Merry Christmas to you!

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt! Makes me want to finally finish the one I started, um, 5 years ago (oops!).

    You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! I've just been look back through my reading list and I obviously missed this before - your quilt is absolutely stunning!!

    I thought it was a small cushion at first (the only thing I've ever managed in patchwork) and it just kept growing and growing the more I read. well done, it really is beauitful and I'm sure it will become a good old family heirloom! I would love to own something like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the link to the pattern. I've bought it already and am looking forward to starting - lovely for next christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is simply AMAZING! I love it!
    The colours are So beautiful and so festive for this month... what a gorgeous quilt to snuggle up with over Christmas. :-)
    I'm half way through making a quilt for my daughter, I hope to be able to get it finished in January when Christmas is out the way..!

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandra! Your Christmas quilt is fantastic and beautiful! Great work! It will give the most wonderful cosy feeling to your home!
    Merry Christmas! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and process as well as the product! I love the checks on the background as well as checks and stripes for the pieces. One of my favorite patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my oh my you deserve to sound proud of yourself what a wonderful achievement and it's so very very pretty. I love the hand stitched label it's wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is beautiful, well done on such an achievement! It looks wonderful, especially for this time of year in your pretty cosy home, and you did such a great job on the stars. Love the quilt label too, just gorgeous.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness that is a fantastic quilt!

    Alison
    x
    thought I was following but wasn't so am now, your blog is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE the button embellishment! This is just STUNNING! Well done!

    ReplyDelete